Wednesday 5 November 2014

Phew!

All sorts of feelings are wrapped up in that word. It’s 8.30 pm and the Destiny Café is shut, so the air con is off, but the internet connection is miles better than it is at the hotel, so here I am, feeling nice and warm…. But Chomno is an amazing man! He has just seen me here typing and he has put the air con on, so my next ‘phew’ is of relief at a blast of cool air. Another ‘phew’ is a sense of relief at having reached the end of a very intensive week, especially as yesterday I wasn’t very well (seasoned travellers abroad might be able to guess why).

But another ‘phew!’ is a deep sense of privilege at having been able to work in two pastors’ training workshops. Last week I spent three days looking at 2 Corinthians with thirty or forty experienced pastors. Even from totally different cultures we seemed to find a lot of common ground with Paul as he opens his heart in this letter and gives us an insight into the joys and trials of being a pastor.

I spent yesterday and today looking at Mark’s gospel with thirty or so trainee pastors, some of whom are still very new Christians. Over the two days we listened to a dramatised version of the gospel in Khmer provided by ‘Faith Comes by Hearing’. Listening to the story two chapters at a time attunes you to different aspects of the gospel and I think it was well worth spending the time doing this. There was then an opportunity for any questions on aspects of the text they found important, surprising or puzzling. As time went by the number of questions increased and one session was just spent on the questions they raised. I couldn’t answer them all – I didn’t know what to suggest as an answer to a Buddhist enquirer who believes the Buddhist creation story is more authentic because it is older – but I was grateful to the other Pastor Tim for stepping in at that point.

It has been an exciting privilege to teach the scriptures in this context to such cheerful and enthusiastic bible students who, I am told, will be as keen to apply what they have learned as they were to learn it. None of this would have been possible without Kagna, who has been really supportive and encouraging in translating for me, as well doing loads of other jobs every single day – thanks, Kagna!

One last ‘phew!’ and this one you can share with me – I’ve finished my blog for tonight!

God bless, and thanks for reading,

Tim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback. It should be published on this page once we have checked it.